Here is Hassan’s talk “Opioid free ED?” that reminds us of the analgesic alternatives to opiates and the opiate medications with less abuse potential.
Note: the above talk contains clickable links to several studies comparing the effectiveness of different analgesics in certain clinical situations.
- EMCrit’s Podcast 139 – Opioid-Free ED with Sergey Motov
- Sergey Motov’s Painfree ED website
- “The purpose of this website is to create user-friendly resource center for emergency physicians, residents, nurses, and pre-hospital personnel that will assist in combating acute and chronic pain in the Emergency Department. The goal is to provide relevant, practical, and evidence-based information that can contribute to effective and efficient pain management.”
- CME 24/7/14 – Tackling the Opioid Problem, Analgesic Prescribing in the Emergency Department
- Brad Lawther’s (APS SCGH) great talk on the problems related to opioid prescription and some suggested solutions for patients with both acute and chronic pain.
- SCGH Pain Assessment and Management Algorithm:
- Requirements for the prescribing of Schedule 4 and Schedule 8 Medicines in Western Australia pdf: